Appeal for Information - Search for Missing Person Rachel Funari
Monday, 28 March 2011 - 2:26pm
Appeal for Information - Search for missing woman Rachel Funari
- Rachel Funari (Aged 35 years)
- 165cm tall, medium build, olive skin
- Strong American accent
- Last seen on Bruny Island on 3 March 2011
CAN YOU HELP...?
Tasmania Police is seeking information about the disappearance of a woman from Adventure Bay, Bruny Island.
Rachel Funari, a 35 year old American national who had been living in Victoria, was last seen around 3:30pm on Thursday 3 March 2011 in a shack at the end of Adventure Bay Road. Earlier that day she was reported to have discussed walking the Fluted Cape Walking Track while on Bruny Island.
Ms Funari had arrived in the state only 2 days prior to her last sighting, and had been travelling around with a medium sized black backpack and small tent bag.
Inquiries to date have identified several places that were visited by Ms Funari before she was reported missing:
- Tuesday, 1 March 2011 - Ms Funari arrives in Hobart and stays at a residence in King St, Sandy Bay for next 2 nights (Tues-Wed)
- Wednesday, 2 March 2011 - Visits MONA at Berriedale, and a coffee shop in Gregory St, Sandy Bay
- Thursday, 3 March 2011 - Departs Sandy Bay and is transported to Bruny Island via the 9:30am ferry
- Thursday, 3 March 2011 - Left alone at a shack at the end of Adventure Bay Road around 3:30pm (last confirmed sighting)
- Tuesday, 8 March 2011 - Fails to board her return flight to Melbourne
After finding her backpack, tent and belongings at the shack on Sunday 13 March 2011, an extensive police search operation was launched, focussing on the Fluted Cape area, other tracks and popular tourist areas around Bruny Island. The land, sea and air search took place over 5 days and utilised climbers, divers, police boats, the rescue helicopter and a specially trained cadaver dog, but failed to find any further sign of Ms Funari.
PLEASE TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW...
Police hold grave fears for Ms Funari’s welfare and are very keen to speak to anyone who saw Ms Funari at any time while she was in Tasmania, or who may have any information at all relating to her movements or possible whereabouts.
Whilst people can sometimes be reluctant to contact police as they believe what they saw or heard to be of little help, in this case a seemingly insignificant observation may be very important to the police investigation.
Police are also asking for help in finding the following items of clothing and property, which were believed to be in Ms Funari’s possession when she went missing:
What Rachel was wearing:
- Bottle Green full zip polar fleece jacket (see photo)
- Black baggy lightweight pants (see photo)
- Brown walking boots (see photo)
- Prescription glasses
What Rachel was carrying:
- Kodak disposable camera (see photo)
- Paperback novel
- Small black clutch-style bag with thin shoulder strap cont. cards, papers and a single house key
- Older-style mobile phone in a multi-coloured sock cover
Bottle green polar
Black lightweight pants
Brown walking boots
Disposable camera similar
Please contact Tasmania Police on 131 444 if you:
- find, or have seen any of the above items at any location
- were in Adventure Bay, Bruny Island on 3rd – 4th March 2011
- saw or spoke to Ms Funari while she was in Tasmania, or have any information whatsoever.