Reckless and Dangerous Driving
Monday, 2 July 2012 - 8:16am
Police would like to thank members of the community for taking their role in road safety seriously, and encourage anyone who witnesses reckless and dangerous driving on our roads to phone the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 immediately.
When a complaint about dangerous driving is received at the time of the offence, police are assigned to intercept the driver and a caution or infringement may be issued. If the driver is not sighted, the incident will be followed up by police who will contact the driver about the complaint.
Where the complaint is made some time later, police will contact the owner of the vehicle by letter or visit their home to caution them about unacceptable and dangerous driving behaviour. The drivers are provided with information outlining the laws on vehicle clamping and confiscation.
The information received from the community is recorded and if the driver is repeatedly reported, police may contact the Registrar of Motor Vehicles to request a review of their licence.
If you witness an incident of dangerous driving, police urge you to:
- get the vehicle's full registration number, or at least part of it
- note the make and model of the offending vehicle
- record the location and time of the offending
- look for any distinguishing details on the vehicle and the driver's appearance
- phone the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 immediately, or as soon as it is practical to do so (if driving, ensure you pull off the road before using a mobile phone).