Drivers are reminded that reduced speed zones around schools come back into effect this week.
As always, safety is our number one priority and that’s why we’ll be conducting speed checks across State-wide school zones and monitoring motorist behaviour.
We’ll also be ensuring drivers comply with school parking zones and no standing zones because these are important measures to help make sure children and traffic can come and go safely.
It’s also a good time to remind drivers and pedestrians of a few road safety tips around schools:
- Flashing lights on a school bus mean the bus has stopped to load or unload students. The law requires you to slow to 40kmh or less within 50m.
- Wherever possible pedestrians should cross at designated crossings.
- Supervise young children while they wait at bus stops or cross roads.
- Slow down and obey all traffic speed signs and stop for crossing guards on the roadway.
- Drive with due care and attention and be alert to children movement.
- Obey parking laws around school zones.