- Tasmania Police want members of the LGBTIQA+ community to feel safe and supported when reporting a crime.
- Dedicated Tasmania Police LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers are available to support members of the LGBTIQA+ community.
- To speak with an LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officer, email LGBTIQA.Liaison@dpfem.tas.gov.au or call 131 444 and ask for a referral to a LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officer.
LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers are police officers located throughout the state who have a deep understanding of the complex issues that the LGBTIQA+ community faces, and are passionate about fostering inclusivity, promoting understanding, and ensuring fair and equal treatment for all.
LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers provide discreet, non-judgemental advice and referrals for all police-related matters, crimes and offences, and offer support and a safe space for LGBTIQA+ community members and allies to raise concerns.
Make a report
Any police officer at any police station is able to take a report of crime.
When attending a police station, you can ask to conduct your business in a private room.
If, at any time, you feel that you are not being treated fairly, you can ask to speak with another police officer or an LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officer*.
LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officers can help by giving discrete advice and assistance on crimes and offences, and can also provide expert advice to police investigators.
In an emergency, always call police on triple zero (000), or contact any police station on 131 444.
*Liaison Officers may not always be immediately available at all police stations, however you can contact your nearest LGBTIQA+ Liaison Officer via the Tasmania Police switchboard on 131 444.
Where to get help
- In an emergency, always call police on triple zero (000).
- Tasmania Police – 131 444 (non-emergency phone line)
- Working It Out – 6231 1200
- Rainbow Communities Tasmania
- QLife nationwide phone counselling for LGBTIQA+ people – 1800 184 527
- Family Violence Counselling and Support Service – 1800 608 122
- Family Violence Response and Referral Line – 1800 633 937
- Equal Opportunity Tasmania – 1300 305 062
Find out more
Download the Tasmania Police LGBTIQA+ infosheet for more information on crimes motivated by prejudice and family violence.