Forensic Science Service Tasmania (FSST)
FSST provides a comprehensive range of forensic biology and forensic chemistry services in Tasmania, including:
- examination of crime scenes for biological evidence
- bloodstain pattern analysis
- DNA profiling and a forensic DNA database
- testing for alcohol and drugs in blood
- detection of illicit and pharmaceutical drugs
- analysis of paint, glass, explosives, accelerants and chemical warfare agents.
Clients include police officers investigating crime, medical practitioners treating victims of sexual assault, forensic pathologists conducting post-mortems, coroners investigating the cause of death and identifying deceased persons, prosecutors in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, fire and insurance investigators, and lawyers and barristers defending clients.
Forensic scientists give expert opinion evidence in the Supreme Court of Tasmania (during criminal trials before a jury), the Magistrates Court of Tasmania and occasionally interstate.
FSST is operationally independent of Tasmania Police, and the Director, FSST reports to the Secretary of the Department of Police and Emergency Management.
Forensic Science Service Tasmania
St Johns Avenue
NEW TOWN TAS 7008
Phone: (03) 6278 5656